Week 3 Discussion

Picture of Laendner Geoffrey
Week 3 Discussion
by Laendner Geoffrey - Friday, July 19, 2013, 10:31 PM

Moodle online discussion:  Read in HBR “Secrets to a Successful Strategy” by  Martin Answer: Do these secrets appy to the way strategy is conducted at your organization? If so how . If not whynot.

Picture of Franceschini Charles
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Franceschini Charles - Thursday, August 1, 2013, 7:57 PM

No, it does not apply to the way strategy is conducted in our organization. Upper level management has no idea what is going on with the day to day operation.  Their main concern is the bottom line.  They make arrangement with other departments on how they are going to do business without understanding how it will affect their own group.   Then put undue stress on their department to get the job done.  They are constantly making the wrong decisions, whether it’s with a job process or a promotion. And, they do not listening to the people who run the day to day business. Also communication is a major problem; information doesn’t seem to get filter down through the levels.

Picture of Sparta Cathy
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Sparta Cathy - Friday, August 2, 2013, 12:37 PM

I agree 100% with Charlie, it does not apply at all in our company. There is basically no strategy involved in the way things are run here. Decisions are made by one group that effect many without any thought to the consequences. People are hired to run departments they have never set foot in. If our company was not basically a monopoly it would have gone out of business a long time ago. In a privately owned company those strategies work well and are extremely important to having a succesful business.

Picture of Crane Douglas
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Crane Douglas - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:40 PM

I agree with Charlie, I am the day to day operation as a first line supervisor. My General manager would not listen to an idea i have if I hit him on the head with a shovel. An idea I made 3 years ago as a bright idea is now coming of age as his idea. I have sat in many meetings where other bossses have made decisions to add more work to our department and no one was ever even asked if the new work load could be handled.

Picture of Crane Douglas
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Crane Douglas - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:43 PM

I also agree about the promotions, we are a very small company. the promotions must be good because the wrong promotions will stay with us a very long time since there is no place to move them as we are so small.

Picture of Marsden Mallory
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Marsden Mallory - Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 10:20 AM

I read upon researching this article that a brilliant strategy may put you on the competitive map, but only solid execution keeps you there. Most companies struggle with implementation because they overrely on structural changes, such as reorganization, to execute their strategy. Though structural change has its place in execution, it produces only short term gains.

I do not believe the secrets to a successful strategy apply or work well at O&R. While I have only been with the company for 2 ½ years, I see the micromanagement that comes from upper management and the effects that one department has on another. There is always a lack of communication within the company which causes frustration within the department. I do not believe that they promote in the best interest of their day to day operations and do not value their people. While I think that they can develop a strategy to improve daily operations, it would take a lot of implementation and reconstruction of what already exists.

Picture of Duncan James
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Duncan James - Monday, August 12, 2013, 7:31 AM

Mallory's statements are correct this company doesn't utilize these stratigies at this time, alot of the problems come from miscommunication.  And I do agree with her that the company could and should impliment these stratigies but it would take a great effort by all members of the orginazation to impliment them properly.

Picture of Duncan James
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Duncan James - Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 10:12 PM

I agree with all the other comments so far as these stratagies not being used at O&R today but some of the issues that are brought up can be seen.  As many of us have said the company has seen fit to promote people into management over a predetermined period of time not neccesarraly because they are the best fit to fill the position.  Then you not only have a manager who is not aware on how to execute his resposibilities but also doesn't know what his responsabilities are and how to properly execute those nedded to promote succsess from his department.  The findings the study talks about would be usefull if communicated properly to all our companies employees .

decision rights

information

motivators

structure

Utilizing these teachings can bring any company to more sucessful outcomes in several aspects of the business world.

Picture of Franceschini Charles
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Franceschini Charles - Thursday, August 8, 2013, 7:11 AM

I agree with the group we are all on the same page when it comes to how O&R is not applying secretes of a successful strategy.     

Picture of Masci Jeffrey
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Masci Jeffrey - Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 11:50 AM

Very true Jim.  I agree with all that you posted. For some reason I feel our company has no motivation or drive to change because their goals and agendas are very different from other private companies. However, these strategies I feel could and would better the company if used and communicated properly. 

Picture of Whelan Sean
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Whelan Sean - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 11:13 AM

nk we as a company lack somewhat of structure and the communication breakdown from top to bottom needs much improvement.

Picture of Dominquez Ricardo
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Dominquez Ricardo - Thursday, August 15, 2013, 9:39 PM

I also agree with the group and even though i am not a manager yet i see the struggles that these guys go through.

Picture of Masci Jeffrey
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Masci Jeffrey - Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 11:43 AM

I do not believe that these secrets apply to the way strategy is used in the organization I work for.  The upper management levels in the organization have their own goals, agendas, and personal motives they that they feel should be fullfilled first before the needs, wants, and goals or the company and its' people.  They dictate from the top what they want done down to lower levels of management and that is filtered down to the rest of the company. They don't care how it gets done as long as it satisfies their goals and the shareholders of the company. This puts massive amounts of stress on lower management employes to "get the goals met no matter who you take advantage of or trample on in the process".  They have monthly meetings to try to get ideas and feedback from the lower managers and other employees, but is it all a show.  They are gonna do what they want to do and that is the way it is.  This creates an atmosphere of paranoia and fear at work for lower management and other employees.  Communication is also a major problem among lower management personnel as well.  Also, I feel this company does not value it's workforce as much as it should.  Instead, they are looked upon as "lucky to have the jobs they have" compared too other companies in the region.  Again, this approach can be used because of the type of company O and R is, a monopolistic cash cow that has only two concerns: to meet the needs of the PSC and to make as much money as possible at any cost.  In reality, most of the upper management personnel have no idea what happens with the day to day important operations of the company.  In other major private companies that have true competition everyday,  day to day operations are studied constantly by upper managements to ensure success and to breed happy, hard working employees. 

Picture of Whelan Sean
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Whelan Sean - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 11:12 AM

I do not agree that HBR's strategies apply to O&R. As coming from the Union side into Management I have come upon several misconceptions of what peoples jobs are. There are many people in our organazation who have by the grace of god gotten positions that they are not qualified for and do very little to maintain their positions. I have seen people coast by in cushhy jobs and take zero responsability for decisions they have made that were ineffective and costly. This seems to be the trend here and I am sure upper management will not attend to these problems in the near future and implement a strategy to eliminate problems from our organazation. 

Picture of Sparta Cathy
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Sparta Cathy - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 11:22 AM

I do not think our organization applies "the Secrets to Succesful Strategy" at all. Our company is run strictly on make the shareholders happy at any cost strategy to business. Because our company has zero competion and will make money regardless of how poorly we are run it makes no difference to upper management how the business is run. This company will always make a profit so hiring yes men with no clue about the industry is alot easier then dealing with people that actually want to make a difference.

Picture of Dominquez Ricardo
Re: Week 3 Discussion
by Dominquez Ricardo - Thursday, August 15, 2013, 9:42 PM

I do not agree that HBR's strategies apply to O&R as well. Coming from the Union side i I have come upon several misconceptions of what peoples jobs are. There are many people in our organazation who have by the luck they have gotten positions that they are not qualified for and do very little to maintain their positions. I also have seen people coast by in they're jobs and take zero responseability for decisions they have made that were ineffective and costly to the company. It seems to be the trend here and I am sure management will try to attend to these problems in the near future and implement a strategy to eliminate problems from this organazation.