Week 1 Discussion

Picture of Laendner Geoffrey
Week 1 Discussion
by Laendner Geoffrey - Friday, July 19, 2013, 11:32 AM

.

Moodle Online Discussion: Read in HBR What is Strategy? By Michael Porter.  Answer the following does Porter’s view of Strategy reflects what your organization is doing.  Do you think Porter is of any use in your organization? (4.0 hours)

Picture of Franceschini Charles
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Franceschini Charles - Sunday, July 21, 2013, 12:42 PM

1. Unfortunately Porter’s view of strategy does not reflect on what Orange and Rockland is doing.  In my opinion. Being a utility company we are forced to follow regulatory guide lines.  We purchase our product (gas and electric) and distribute to our customers. 
  2.  If the company wants to get into the solar power industry I think Porter’s strategy would apply.  
Picture of Duncan James
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Duncan James - Monday, August 12, 2013, 7:22 AM

Charlie's point about the utility industry is right on target.  Because of deregulation we are forced to follow guidlines and not deviate from that path

Picture of Sparta Cathy
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Sparta Cathy - Monday, August 12, 2013, 2:06 PM

I agree with Charlie Porters view of strategy doesnt apply to a regulated monopoly. We have to pay a certain price, we have to sell for a certain price. Every aspect of our company is regulated.

Picture of Dominquez Ricardo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dominquez Ricardo - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:57 PM

I believe charlie has a point here because we don't distribute our own power supply any more we are limited to this strategy.

Picture of Duncan James
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Duncan James - Monday, July 22, 2013, 12:55 AM

I dont beleive Porters views of strategy apply to O&R bussiness model and that has alot to do with deregulation being instituted in our industry it makes it hard to out perform your rivals.  But I do belive the aspect mentioned in operational effectivness applies some what to the industry as far as it mentioning trying to copy what your rivals do, and also trying to offer services for less cost.  I think we all have had a knock at our doors or a call on the phone at home only to recive a sales pitch offereing to buy our electricity from another provider instead of O&R.  Although the sales pitch makes it sounds like money would be saved buying electricity from another utility company in the long run it will cost more in reliable service.  Essentially the only way for one utility to answer customers needs better than another utility in our industry is to offer reliable service for less cost.  

Picture of Franceschini Charles
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Franceschini Charles - Thursday, August 8, 2013, 7:03 AM

I agree with Jim. Poters views of strategy do not apply here at O&R.

Picture of Masci Jeffrey
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Masci Jeffrey - Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:51 AM

I agree with you Jim. I also feel that deregulation was a major factor in not meeting the aspects of Porter's views.  And yes, I have had that knock on the door or phone call or mail brochure asking or wanting you to switch and save.  You really don't save in the long run and I feel it is a feeble attempt to justify that they do have competition. 

Picture of Dominquez Ricardo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dominquez Ricardo - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:58 PM

I also agree here with James on his point and it goes back to us being limited in what we do here because of the regulation.

Picture of Sparta Cathy
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Sparta Cathy - Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 7:35 AM

I dont beleive Porters view of strategy applies to Orange and Rockland. Because we are a utility and a monopoly there is no competing or trying to use another utility as an example. Orange and Rockland has no competition and therefore bascially runs the internal workings of their company any way they choose. There are certain aspects that are regulated by the Public Service and those things like the safety of the public is a given.

Picture of Marsden Mallory
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Marsden Mallory - Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 12:01 PM

I agree with Cathy as shown in my response below. Because there is no direct competition with utility cmpanies in our area, I dont think his practices apply to our company.

Picture of Marsden Mallory
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Marsden Mallory - Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 12:00 PM

No, I don’t believe that Porter’s view of strategy reflects the business practices of Orange and Rockland. I feel like his main objectives focus on how a business or region can build a competitive advantage and develop a competitive strategy, which I don’t feel we have at O&R. While there are other options for providing your energy, this is the only utility company that provides this service within our territory. For example, one cannot have electric or gas powered to them by Central Hudson if they live in Rockland County. I think some of his tools might be able to be used within the walls of the company and improve on management or leadership techniques.

Picture of Whelan Sean
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Whelan Sean - Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 1:54 PM

't think Porter's model applies to O&R. Being that we have no competition on the lines and services we charge it would be hard to apply his methods. Their are competitors for the energy we sell but for not being with the company so long my perspective is that we are not imn the busioness of selling commodities we are in the busines of distributing and servicing are direct customers which doesnt give us much competition if any at all. 

Picture of Masci Jeffrey
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Masci Jeffrey - Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:46 AM

I do not feel that Porter's view of the strategy is consistent with the strategy that Orange and Rockland uses.  First, O and R is more concerned with the regulations they have to meet and follow in order to be icompliance with the public service commission.  Second, O and R is basically a monopoly with at best limited minimal competition at best, allowing them basically to run their company anyway they choose to as long as that way benefits the shareholders. Because they provide commodities necessary for living everyday life( electricity), they are a cash that will always make money. 

Picture of Whelan Sean
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Whelan Sean - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 11:01 AM

I think you are correct Jeff although we are not technically a monopo;y no one can use are lines and charge on them so we will always have the ability to make money.

Picture of Crane Douglas
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Crane Douglas - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:29 PM

I agree with Jeff and Sean, they are Orange and Rocklands lines, even if the knock on our door is to save money and switch suppliers, we still charge them a transportation fee. O&R will always have the ability to make money.

Picture of Dominquez Ricardo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dominquez Ricardo - Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:56 PM

1. Unfortunately Porter’s view does not reflect on what is going on here at Orange and Rockland. Because we are a utility company we are forced to follow certain regulated guide lines.  We also purchase our own gas and electricility and then distribute to our own customers. If we were to change to another souce of power supply like solar power we probably could take that strategy on.