Week 5 Discussion

Picture of Laendner Geoffrey
Week 5 Discussion
by Laendner Geoffrey - Sunday, March 17, 2013, 6:33 PM

Read the discussion question and post an answer of at least 200 words. Base your answer on this week's readings and your own experience. After you have posted your answer, post at least two responses to your classmates' answers.

Question:

Has your understanding of Social Issues changed over the duration of this class?  If so how? What subjects that you have already taken in the program are now clearer or perhaps more applicable to the workplace ? Can you apply what you have learned in this class to your thesis?

(Edited by Geoffrey Laendner - original submission Friday, 23 March 2012, 02:39 PM)

(Edited by Geoffrey Laendner - original submission Wednesday, 18 April 2012, 03:43 PM)

(Edited by Geoffrey Laendner - original submission Thursday, 19 April 2012, 07:22 AM)

Picture of Ellis Delvin
Re: Week 5 Discussion
by Ellis Delvin - Saturday, December 15, 2012, 2:42 PM

My understanding of social issues has changed over the duration of this class because I am now aware of their causes, consequences, and solutions.  Also, I am aware that a lot of social issues that affects employees’ personal lives also affected their professional lives.  Taking this “social Issue in the workplace” course make the “Industrial Psychology” course that I took earlier in the semester clearer because I understand how social issues impact human performance.  I’m sure the theories that I have learnt in this course can be applied to my thesis because its all ties into organization change.  I haven’t started my theses yet, because I prefer to compile a paper after I have learnt the complete curriculum material, which be applied to my thesis topic.

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 5 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 4:21 PM

My understanding of social issues has changed over the duration of class.  As I have now learned how much these social issues can affect the workplace.  I never really look into how social issues in the workplace are responsible for the majority of injuries and fatalities.  I also didn’t know that one of the leading causes for absentees is a hangover.  I have taken a few courses that are applicable in the workplace.  All the classes dealing with effective communication in the workplace are helpful.  I now understand that everyone communicates differently.  I also as a manager have to learn how to be able to understand which effective way my employees understand communication.  I think every class I have taken has given me information and help with my thesis. 

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 5 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:38 PM

Social issues are going to be part of your life no matter where you are. Everyone has issues and deal with them in their own way. Some may be right and others wrong. Just hope we can help and be helped along the way. Let hope life is a long journey for all.

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 5 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:34 PM

Since this class social issues in the work place have become a little bit clearer. Understanding the issues around you assist you in reaching out and understanding coworkers. I have benefited from most of the classes in the program. All have given me a little more insight to perform my job better. You are never too old to learn, in school or out in the world. I do see social issues fitting right into my thesis paper.