Week 2 Discussion

Picture of Woodruff Kimberly
Week 2 Discussion
by Woodruff Kimberly - Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 9:04 AM

Read the discussion question and post an answer of at least 200 words. Base your answer on this week's readings and your own experience. After you have posted your answer, post at least two responses to your classmates' answers.

Question: Does your department's manager(or you if you are in that position) receive any training on Social Issues in the Workplace, if so is it effective? Does your organizational mission statement contain words on Social Issues? If not should it ?

Picture of Ellis Delvin
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Ellis Delvin - Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 10:14 AM

My department manager received training on social issues in the workplace.  In addition, I have received training on specific social issues in the workplace such as drugs and racism.  I find these training courses to be very effective for mangers and union employees.  Once employees are educated and aware of social issues, they are less difficult to find solutions to correct them in the workplace.  My organization's mission statement “is to provide energy services to our customers safely, reliably, efficiently, and in an environment sound manner; to provide a workplace that allows employees to realize their full potential; to provide as fair return to our investors; and to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.”  Con Edison’s mission statement clearly uses social issue key terms such as safely, potential, improve, and quality of life. 

Picture of Santos Thomas
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Santos Thomas - Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 4:04 PM

My department manager as well as all employees reveive training on social issues prevelent in the workplace. The training is effective.What makes the training effective is employee acceptance and openness to it. It also has the backing of the corporate mission statement. Although the mission statement does not directly address social issues in its wording, it recognizes the right of each employee to reach their full potential. There is also zero toterance for not following set guidelines that discourage socially unacceptable behavior. The threat of losing one's job at times is a strong motivator.

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:49 PM

All managers in Con Edison receive training on Social Issues in the Workplace.  There are mandatory training courses that must be taken when accepting a management position.    For example, managing workplace conflict, situational leadership, and corporate mentoring are classes designed for social issues in the workplace.  These classes teach us how to deal with, detect, and confront employees with social issues.  My departmental manager does receive this training and it is effective.  The classes were useful references when we had to approach one of my mechanics with a drug usage problem.  Through these classes we were able to add a comfort level where the employee is now rehabilitated and back to work. 

My company’s organizational mission statement does not contain words on Social Issues.  Our mission statement is based on a reliable company that provides good service with returns to its investors.  I don’t think it should contain words on social issues.  Our customers care about the quality of our service, the reliability, fair pricing and that what Con Edison’s mission statement provides. 

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:50 PM

This is my reply to Danielle 

I think it is important to receive training on social issues in the workplace.  Firing an employee could be the way to go, but I think it is important for managers to be trained to detect early signs of a social issue.  I also agree that the employees should be trained in dealing with patients with social issues at home.  Employees with this training will know how to react and response better to patients. 

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:51 PM

This is my reply to Greg

In Con Edison, all management personal must take these courses on how to deal with social issues.  As a manager, the courses can be vital when dealing with social issues.  They are great guidelines when approaching an employee who might have an issue.    The training also provides ways of detecting social issues in the workplace. 

The mission statement for Con Edison does not mention social issues.  It is intended to state what type of service the company provides.  The statement is about reliability, good service, and return to investors. 

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:10 PM

Managing people can be a difficult task. Each employee has the own personality and ways of expressing themselves. The courses given at Con Edison are a tool to assist you with dealing with the social issues within your department. Courses are not enough it takes time and experience to hone your skills when dealing with employees. I believe you need to be open minded and try to understand people to be able to help them. Look and listen to what is going around and never jump to a quick conclusion.

I do agree that the mission statement should not be noted in the mission statement and should be directed on the product or service it is going to deliver to its customer.

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:07 PM

Within Con Edison I feel everyone deals with many social issues of some sort. We are all individuals that have different lives, however when we enter the work place we have to perform as a team. We have to put our issues to the side and work the best we can. Problems can arise in your workplace if you cannot temporarily forget about your troubles. We are all human and will have good days and bad days; most people tend to wear their emotions on their sleeve. An example of this situation would be; you say hello to Bob in the office and he nearly bites your head off. You know Bob to be a nice person and he has never spoken to you like this before. Bob is defiantly having a bad day. Bob may be dealing with something that has nothing to do with you but you felt his anger. A good manager may see this and may require them to confront Bob.

Con Edison has a training curriculum for all its management employees. It varies from how the employees come into management. Management employees may be hired from the outside, recruited from college or promoted from the workforce. Each avenue is trained differently but with the same goal, to make you the most efficient manager you can be.  Some of the courses that are given to our managers that deal with social issues are: building interpersonal relationships, managing workplace conflict, supervisory skills. There are additional course that assist managers to identify problems employees may be having and that may affect their jobs.

Con Edison’s Mission Statement does not mention words relating to social issues. The mission statement is directed to promising good service to their customers, a promising workplace to their employees, fair return to their investors, and to continually improve the company. I believe that the social issue does not belong in the mission statement; however it should be in the HR policies and added to mission statements of each department. My department does not have it own mission statement but does train their management staff on dealing with social issues.

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 2 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:09 PM

My reply to Danielle:

Working in a facility like Eastchester must be busy. Working busy schedules must bring on a lot of stress; this can cause all kinds of social issues. Stress can led to many issues that can affect one performance in the office. You mentioned that you can be terminated at anytime; I can only imagine how much pressure one can feel if there are issues at home and dealing with it badly at work. In today’s workforce you want to be careful not to lose ones job. Hopefully at Eastchester you have some understanding directors that can assist rather than contribute to ones issues.

Patients social issues may easy to spot but acting on it or reaching out may be bringing trouble. Some do not like to speak about it or are too afraid. If there not willing to discuss it they might resent you for it and form a complaint. That is just my opinion and I have no statics to back it up.  You do not want to get in trouble at Eastchester, no fun on the unemployment line.