Week 1 Discussion

Picture of Laendner Geoffrey
Week 1 Discussion
by Laendner Geoffrey - Sunday, March 17, 2013, 6:37 PM

Read the discussion question and post an answer of at least 200 words. Base your answer on this week's readings and your own experience. After you have posted your answer, post at least two responses to your classmates' answers.

Question:

What is meant by a Social Issue? Do Social Issues influence your work situation?  Can your workplace be a generator itself of social Issues? If so how? What should/could be done?

Picture of Ellis Delvin
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Ellis Delvin - Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 10:10 AM

A social issue is a controversial condition that a segment of society views as harmful to members of society and in need of remedy.  Social issues influence my workplace because issues that relate to an individual's personal life often carries over into their professional life.  My workplace is a generator of social issues such as drugs, alcohol, and crime.  These social issues exist because of a diverse workgroup, with people of different interests and personalities.  Some individuals abuse drugs and alcohol for recreational reasons, however, it affects the workplace when a task can’t be performed or accidents occur.  Crimes such as stealing may be committed by an employee trying to make extra money illegally.  My employer has implemented programs such as random drug testing, drug awareness training, rehabilitation, and security teams to mediate these issues.  

The issue of balancing a demanding career and a hectic personal life can be stressful, which affects an individual's physical and metal health.  Add the complex mix of balancing a family life and continuing education will result in an individual feeling overwhelmed or overworked which can lead to additional social issues.  These issues can be remediated by offering different programs for employees such as counseling and wellness programs.  In addition, my employer offer discounts to family events and gyms to relieve stress, which keep employees happy.

Picture of Santos Thomas
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Santos Thomas - Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 3:52 PM

A social issue is an issue that has adverse affects on a portion or at times a whole society. Social issues have a huge influence on my work situation. By the nature of my work (field setting), working directly in contact with society, causes a different approach to one's surroundings. Employees have to be awawre of high crime areas and take precautions. Clear access issues can arise because of a building being suspect to drug use or being in a run down area.

Although my workplace can be a generator of social issues, I believe it is a microcosm of society as a whole and reflectsd the same social issues present in the surrounding society. Issues such as drug and alcohol use, violence and crime arise in the workplace. These issues are addressed similarly in the workplace as in society. Crime and violence are handled by a corporate security team that works closely with law enforcement. Treatment is offered for drug and alcohol abuse.

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:44 PM

All managers in Con Edison receive training on Social Issues in the Workplace.  There are mandatory training courses that must be taken when accepting a management position.    For example, managing workplace conflict, situational leadership, and corporate mentoring are classes designed for social issues in the workplace.  These classes teach us how to deal with, detect, and confront employees with social issues.  My departmental manager does receive this training and it is effective.  The classes were useful references when we had to approach one of my mechanics with a drug usage problem.  Through these classes we were able to add a comfort level where the employee is now rehabilitated and back to work. 

My company’s organizational mission statement does not contain words on Social Issues.  Our mission statement is based on a reliable company that provides good service with returns to its investors.  I don’t think it should contain words on social issues.  Our customers care about the quality of our service, the reliability, fair pricing and that what Con Edison’s mission statement provides. 

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:46 PM

This is my reply to Danielle 

I think it is important to receive training on social issues in the workplace.  Firing an employee could be the way to go, but I think it is important for managers to be trained to detect early signs of a social issue.  I also agree that the employees should be trained in dealing with patients with social issues at home.  Employees with this training will know how to react and response better to patients. 

Picture of Dodaro Santo
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Dodaro Santo - Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:47 PM

This is my reply to Greg

In Con Edison, all management personal must take these courses on how to deal with social issues.  As a manager, the courses can be vital when dealing with social issues.  They are great guidelines when approaching an employee who might have an issue.    The training also provides ways of detecting social issues in the workplace. 

The mission statement for Con Edison does not mention social issues.  It is intended to state what type of service the company provides.  The statement is about reliability, good service, and return to investors. 

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:04 PM

Social issues can be an extreme problem in the work force. Everyone at one time or another can be going through something. If you see something try to help.

Picture of Donlon Gregory
Re: Week 1 Discussion
by Donlon Gregory - Friday, December 21, 2012, 3:02 PM

A social issue is a condition that at least some people in a workforce view as being undesirable. Everyone would agree about some social problems, such as alcoholism and drug addictions.

Working around people that have drug addictions and may be alcohol dependant can cause harm to me and others. I would not want to work in a situation where someone puts me in a harm’s way.

Pressures of work can cause people to have 1 or more social issues. If they have a problem that they cannot cope with they may resort to drinking. They may lash out or scream due to the demands.

If you see someone in need reach out to them or find a way to help.